Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A first day... or days...

So I don't know what day it is. It could be Monday because I haven't actually gone to bed since Sunday night. It could be Tuesday because I know that my plane left Monday night and flew overnight into the morning sunrise. But then apparently it's actually Wednesday.

The flight is so long. Unbelievably long. And quite disorienting. You do in fact fly overnight into the morning sun... but you also cross the international dateline so what seems like one night has actually caused two days to pass, not one. But fear not, you get that lost day back when you fly home.

However, I was in a brand new Boeing 777 plane and even for Air Canada, it was lovely. Even the lighting was cool. Although I have to admit that walking through the first class cabin on your way into and out of the plane does put economy seating into stark perspective.

I arrived at my hostel around noon. It's big and bustling. People coming and going. All young. All packbackers. Some who look like they came and just never left. My room is nice, bare, but nice. Clean and spacious enough.

Instead of succumbing to my exhaustion, I decided that noon was far too early to go to bed so I headed out. Thoroughly enjoying the 24oC and sunshine, I explored Darling Harbour. This really is a beautiful city. It sort of reminds me of Vancouver, perhaps with a bit of Sarasota thrown in.

The highlight of the day was definitely the Aquarium. It had been one of the top things on my must-see list and as it was right there I just went right on in. They really did a great job of setting it up and there was one particular aquarium (er, oceanarium, they called it) that took my breath away. You walked through tubes that went through the water while sharks, manta rays, eels, turtles, and fish swam over and around you. I just sat and watched them for a while.

Now I'm back at the hostel. It's 6:40pm on Wednesday. I haven't had a real meal since Monday. I haven't had a real sleep since Sunday night. I think I'm just running on adrenaline. I'm sure it's obvious in my writing (apologies)...

Adieu for now from this slightly lonely, totally disoriented, Canuck in Sydney.