Monday, March 24, 2008

Surf camp and Port Macquarie

First, my apologies for the prolonged absence. The last few weeks have provided little in the way of internet access (or electricity at times). We spent five days at surf camp (Mojo Surf, to be precise) and four days in Port Macquarie, on the east coast of Australia between Sydney and Brisbane.

I do not have much time (I am realizing that this style of traveling doesn't leave much time for prolonged reflection or writing - particularly with the concern of not boring a travel companion), but I will write a bit on each of the last two legs.

First, photos:
Pics from Adelaide:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2136152&l=c8a49&id=1032

Pics from surf camp and Port:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2137523&l=221f5&id=1032

Ok, so now onto some brief reflections on the last two sections of our stay in Australia. Surf camp was interesting. Perhaps it was the purest form of backpacking/roughing it we've done (and will do). The bus picked us up in Sydney (us being Megan and me and 48 of our new closest (or most annoying) friends). Six hours and one surf video later, our coach b us pulled into the surf camp - a true surf shack in the bus a relatively short walk from the beach. No privacy (no real walls to speak of), certainly no electrical outlets, co-ed rooms (shared of course with the bugs), and beds that were tiny mattresses on milk crates. Oh and of course the bathroom (aka the shower block) was a fair ways away and had recently been vacated by a huge python that had temporarily made it its home.

After two days there, we took another long bus ride up to the second location. This time we were at a trailer park right on the water. Drawing the short straw, Meg and I shared a triple bunk (see photo) with another girl in the hallway leading to the trip's sole couple's room. With squeaky beds and being the one who moves a lot during the night, I got the bottom (aka the floor). I didn't sleep very well, but I did get sweet pictures of the sunrise.

The instructors were certainly nice and friendly (particularly toward the many young women among us) and helpful in the waves. They were, however, an unflattering example of what surf culture is like. Some people embraced it, even loved it, encouraged to enjoy toilet humour and party all night. Megan and I didn't take to it quite as freely. I feel as though I got that kind of lifestyle out of my system a fair while ago and have since moved beyond it. Or maybe I'm just too uptight.

Either way, the surfing was great. The beach was amazing and almost completely our own. I managed to ride most of the waves I attempted and was even starting to turn by the end. My poor, blistered hands didn't love it quite as much.

Much in need of some tlc, at the end of the week, we boarded a greyhound after catching it by the side of the road in a tiny town called Woolgoolga and went back south to Port Macquarie. Alex and his brother Philip picked us up there. After the week we'd had, it was unbelievably nice to be in the comfort of a real home with clean beds and friendly faces. Even home cooked meals! For practicality, we were staying down the street with Alex's uncle and aunt (er, uncle's girlfriend) who were incredibly friendly and helpful (the Easter bunny even found us there!). We hung out a lot at Alex's though, enjoying real Aussie meals. They truly live differently - much more outside, much less focused on comfort and luxury, and certainly much less concerned about bugs.

The winery was only a couple of minutes away. An amazing facility right on the highway with a wonderful restaurant and huge cellar door. They have quite an extensive tasting list and trust me, when you're with the owner's sons, you get good treatment.

We went jet skiing in the Pacific, toured the winery, did an extensive tasting, partied during a night out, enjoyed the beach, and even tried body boarding. At this, I realized that in 2008, I have used a snowboard, sandboard, surfboard, and bodyboard. Perhaps now all I need to try is a wakeboard and skateboard. Never really saw myself as a boarder...

We leave this evening to head to New Zealand. Three weeks down, three weeks to go. We are wildly excited for what promises to be a very different and beautiful country.

Au revoir, Australia.