Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The ATL

I spent the weekend in Atlanta. Aka Hotlanta. Aka The ATL. It was my first time visiting "the South." While admittedly Atlanta isn't that southern because it is a fairly large metropolitan city, it is situated squarely in the heart of the South and many consider it to be the area's unofficial capital.

It definitely felt southern to me. A light southern drawl seemed to exist on most residents' lips. There were many signs for fried chicken, ribs, bbq, and grits. And of course Atlanta is the 'blackest' city in the US (i.e. it has the highest proportion of African Americans).

The city itself is sprawling. Indeed everyone needs a car in the ATL. But I'm told that the sprawl is due at least in part to the fact that residents prioritize highly their greenspace. And thus Atlanta is the greenest city in the U.S. (Indeed from my friend's apartment - which her local friends consider to be 'downtown' - it feels like you're in the woods.)

I tried to experience Atlanta to the fullest. I ate shrimp and grits (apparently a southern specialty). I toured the CNN Center (no, sadly no sightings of AC). I sampled some of the 70 different flavours of Coke at the World of Coke. I walked around Piedmont Park (which was absolutely teeming with life and activity). I saw tornado-damaged buildings. And of course went out clubbing in downtown ATL.

I even got a change to go out and explore the far-reaching suburbs and new developments. I stayed with close family friends about an hour outside of the city. A real home-cooked meal and clean bed - what treats! They even had cats for me to get my feline fix.

Overall, I liked Atlanta and its environs. Although I do tend to prefer cities that are at least somewhat walkable (and not overwhelmingly hot in the summer).