Friday, May 2, 2008

Leaving again

So I'm all packed. Organized. Planned. Double checked. Backed-up and safety locked. I'm leaving again. I suppose that's the nature of traveling - you're always coming and going, but never really staying.

This time, I'm driving. From Toronto to Boston. Down the East Coast to Florida. Hotlanta, New Orleans jazz, Memphis blues, up the Midwest to Chicago and finally back home. It is a big trip to do by myself and I admit to being nervous. (And am so thankful that I am not doing as much as I had originally planned.) I don't know what it's going to be like. The longest I've ever spent in the car on my own is the five hours from Toronto to Montreal. That's like a baby step compared to this trip.

I anticipate a lot of time for thoughtfulness and introspection. I hope to absolutely jam to my music. I am going to whip out my camera and take pictures of strange things. I'm going laugh at the funny things people do in their cars. I'm going to soak up the surroundings as I pass them by.
I am going to be by myself on the open road. What could be more freeing?