Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom's Day

Today is Mother's Day. I have thought a lot about my mother today. I seemed to be surrounded by mothers - old grandmothers, overworked mothers, inexperienced mothers, and even expectant mothers. Sadly, I will not be able to be with my mother today, on the day to celebrate her and all that she does for the family. I haven't been with her on this day for some time, as I was usually still away at school over this holiday. As in the past, I have tried to do all that I can to show my mom how much she does mean to me. But really, flowers and cards can only go so far.

My mom is an immeasurably important part of my life. She has influenced me, guided me, supported me, and helped me in more ways than I can likely grasp. Significantly, she was a strong proponent of my taking this year off. A year for myself to travel, have fun, relax, learn, and recharge before the intensity of law school. She knows. She's been there.

And of course, like with so many other things, she was right. This year has been worth it a thousand times over. I have learned and grown more than I ever could have anticipated. And this year is just one of the many things that she has given to me.

The best thing about my mom is that she is one of my best friends. We really share a lot and look to each other for advice. We also have a blast together - sharing jokes that get cookier and cookier as the years go by. My father doesn't even try to figure them out anymore.

So today, on this celebratory day, I celebrate you, mom.