Thursday, May 8, 2008

A big drive

I have just completed a big drive. A massive drive by my standards. Yesterday morning I left Cambridge, Massachusetts and tonight I arrived in Ocala, Florida. That is approximately 2000km and somewhere around 20 hours of driving.

I was in the car for about 14 hours yesterday and then another 9 today. Yes, that adds up to more than 20. Tell that to the traffic I hit in Connecticut and the particularly delightful D.C. rush hour. What is almost more amazing than the completion of the drive itself is that I started out not knowing where I would spend the night. I planned to drive until I was tired and then find somewhere to crash. For an admitted control freak, this type of freewheeling is a big step. I ended up stopping in North Carolina, in a little town called Rocky Mount. Wouldn't ya know that I nabbed the last room at the Hampton Inn. Felt kinda bad for the tired-looking woman behind me who had to go somewhere else. But dammit I was tired too.

The drive itself was somewhat boring - I95 S mostly the entire way. I was struck though by the differences between the north and the south. On the trip, I drove through Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, D.C., Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia, and finally Florida. Now I know that I am not revealing anything particularly, well, y'know, new by commenting on the differences between the states north of and south of the Mason Dixon line, but it was new to my eyes.

The north seemed complicated and bustling. The cars appeared to drive as though they were rushing somewhere - some meeting or art gallery opening perhaps. There is obviously a dense population and many urban centers, and the states seem to blend into one another, without proud fanfare at their borders (unless you count the toll booths at the beginnings and ends of the highways).

The south, on the other hand, is rural and expansive. It seems at times like acres and acres of farmland and at others like one great strip mall. While the greenery along the whole coast is beautiful, the southern states have allowed it to be marred along the highways by an absolutely astonishing array of ads. Huge signs promoting mostly fast food. This is not to say that the states down here are not proud of what they have - indeed, each state welcomed and farewelled me with beautiful and prominent declarations. South Carolina's was particularly noteworthy for its section of finely manicured lawns, huge brick gates, and tall flagpoles.

I can't draw many conclusions from these observations. I would just admit that I am amazed that these types of differences still persist in such a physically and virtually integrated country.

I count this drive as a big accomplishment for me - particularly considering how little experience I have with long drives and that I was all by myself.

Well, not entirely by myself. Very wisely, my mother gave me a book on CD before I left. It is a book by Elizabeth Gilbert called 'Eat, Pray, Love'. It is quite popular right now. Autobiographical, 'Eat, Pray, Love' is an account of Gilbert's year of traveling after a very difficult personal, emotional, and romantic period. She spends one third of the year in each of Italy, India, and Indonesia. Her writing is quick and witty. Her metaphors are perfect and her intuition makes you want to exclaim out loud: yes, that's exactly right! She writes about love and romance, friends and family, growing up, growing old, having fun, not having fun, meditating, praying, finding spirituality, and finding herself. Mostly, it is a book about a journey. There is a destination only in the sense that the year itself ends (though sadly no epilogue to tell you what happens next in her life); for the point of the book is to reveal to the reader the lessons of her personal journey - and indeed through the revelations to teach.

For me, most of the way through my own year of travels, it was an obviously poignant book. It made me think about things I had not previously considered and it gave me new perspectives on old thoughts. The author herself read the book and she did a great job.

So in a way, I did have a friend with me.