Friday, November 2, 2007

An introduction

So I'm going to blog. Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself at the moment. For anyone who doesn't know (and if you don't, why are you here?), I am in Paris for a month by myself. It is part of an almost-yearlong series of travels I am doing before turning back into a real (read: responsible) person and going to do my law/mba.

I think that the easiest way to introduce this blog is to explain how I came to decide to do it in the first place. I've never been much of a personal writer - I never kept a diary. But I sure do think a lot and I enjoy expressing myself. After realizing just how much writing I did on the campaign, I decided that I wanted to keep it up. The more you do it, the better you get. Or something like that.

In addition, it seemed like a good way to ensure that I thought about and documented my time here in Paris - and probably my future travels if this little experiment succeeds. It also - obviously - is a good way for anyone interested to keep apprised of my escapades.

Finally, I asked a friend for advice. And he really hit home with me when he said: "i say start the blog if you have stuff you want to say. i've never been much of a diarist and find writing for the sake of writing to be pretty damn painful but when there's something to say...i'm all for it."

So I guess that I have stuff I want to say. I can't promise that it will be on any particular topics nor necessarily in English (though I am realizing that I will need some way to keep up my mother tongue). I can just promise that it will be me, unplugged, live on location.