Monday, November 12, 2007

Making the most of things

Spending a few days with Andrew while he is here in Paris provides an interesting perspective for me. Because I've been mostly alone recently, I haven't had to discuss the day's plan with anyone; I haven't had to check with anyone whether they were ok with what we were going to do that day - I decided and I went and did it. Having a friend in Paris makes things somewhat more complicated. And today was a mild example of why it is so important that the person you are traveling with needs to have a similar idea of what traveling is all about.

Andrew and I have similar ideas about what is interesting - thank god - but somewhat different ideas about what type of schedule we want to have. Quite simply, I would prefer to get up early and get as much out of a day as possible. Andrew disagrees slightly. He prefers starting later and setting a slower pace.

This is not at all intended as a criticism of Andrew's philosophy on traveling; it is merely an observation of a difference. As I said to him, if I had wanted to spend all day lounging around, I would have stayed in Toronto where I can do that much more comfortable, easily, more cheapily, and happily at home. However, I did not come here to do that. I came here to go out, to see the sights, to do as Parisians do - even if that only means going out to a café ordering a café crème (café au lait) and reading my book. But I want to do. I want to experience. I want to live. I want to create memories that will tide me over threw law school finals exams, long work-weeks, etc. etc. Otherwise, why bother?