Sunday, November 4, 2007

Stretching

So I had my first homesickness crisis. Ok, not a crisis. No need to be melodramatic. But I was close to the edge, asking myself what I'm doing here by myself half way around the world and wishing momentarily for something, anything, to call me back to Toronto. You see, I'm not a natural traveler, a natural adventurer. I like routine. I like the familiar. I like home.

But thankfully home is still there and will still be there when I fly back in what really is only a matter of weeks.

Besides, part of the reason I'm here is to test myself. To stretch. To grow. I know that the idea that what I'm doing - a month in Paris with absolutely no responsibilities - could be tough seems strange and that a lot of people would kill for the opportunity I have here. But I am me, and for me, going to a strange country 6000 km from home all alone and trying to speak a language I'm only adequately proficient in is hard. And sometimes little things can bring me to the edge. Little things like the prospect of mice running around my apartment or the discovery of the absolutely abysmal water pressure in my shower. (I'll write more about other 'little things' like the fact that Parisians never pick up after their dogs, leaving a maze of doodoo to avoid.)

But if it wasn't hard, I wouldn't be doing it right. If it wasn't hard, I wouldn't be getting anything out of it. So I'll face it, head on.

Because I was feeling somewhat homesick last night, I went to a Canadian bar near my apartment (truth be told, my apartment seems to be in an incredibly busy, popular restaurant/bar/club/shopping area). It's called The Moose. I'd actually been there once before, when I was in Paris with my classmates after our month-long French course in Nice in August of 2001. Even though it has a touch of overdone caricature to it, it's perfect. A little bit like home. And they even showed the beginning of the Leafs-Habs hockey game. (Go leafs go!)

It was great. So great that I spent most of today hung over. But tomorrow, Monday morning, my hang over will be gone, hopefully my cold will finally start to go away, and I will head out for as many adventures as Paris can give me.