Friday, November 2, 2007

Transitions

Today was a transition day. I said goodbye to my father and began my time alone in Paris. I had two amazing weeks with my parents. We spent five days in London, a week in Paris, and then my father and I toured vineyards in Bordeaux for four days. All absolutely spectacular.

London was beautiful but frantic. Restaurants and shows, museums and the Tower of London. And since when did I have so many friends in and around London? It was a whirlwind few days.

And Paris. J'adore Paris. I always breath a big sigh of relief/relaxation when I arrive in Paris. There is something about this city that just sits well with me. (Don't get me wrong; there are a lot of things about this place that irritate and/or confuse the hell out of me and I'm sure I will expound at great length on those topics in future posts.)

And my little trip down to Bordeaux was educational and entertaining. Perhaps on a slow day here I will share some of the hilariousness that ensued. But between adventures, we learned a ton about wine and saw some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen. And perhaps most importantly, I got to spend four uninterrupted days with my dad talking mostly about (what else?) wine and maps.

Traveling with parents is unlike traveling with anyone else or by yourself. Quite simply: the relationship we have with our parents is unlike the relationship we have with anyone else in our lives. For most people, there is no one in life with whom you have more history. So when spending time with them, we tend to fall into our traditional roles.

We slip into these roles as into well-worn shoes: easily, comfortably, almost with relief. For example, I suddenly become a follower. Not my usual m.o., I have been forced into this familial role by having a father who loves maps and isn't much for wandering. However, like old shoes, the old roles can be outgrown or require adjustment from time to time.

But now I am toute seule, with a full month to be whoever I want to be, to fill whatever role I want to fill. To wander aimlessly or stick to a strict, mapped-out schedule. And I am excited! Excited to go where I want when I want. To not have to care what my travel companion thinks about the painting I want to sit and stare at for an hour. And to meet people! Yes, it is much easier to meet people when you are on your own. I met a guy today at the supermarket. He was wearing a Harvard athletics (DHA!) sweatshirt so I walked up to him and said hi - which is stranger than it seems at first glance because we are in a French-speaking country where nobody says 'hi'.

So yes, even if it is daunting that for the first time in my life I have nothing to do, no responsibilities, no appointments to keep or assignments to finish - I am excited!